Let Us Help You

Emergency: [9-1-1]  Deaf (TTY): 613-966-3788

making a complaint about an Officer 

Belleville Police Service takes great pride in serving our community and we are committed to transparency and maintaining community confidence when dealing with any possible officer misconduct. Our officers are governed by the Community Safety and Policing Act (CSPA). The Act defines the role of a police officer and outlines how they are expected to conduct themselves. Our officers are held to a high standard of conduct and officers can face formal discipline if they disobey the Act.

This means officers:

  • Can face discipline when misconduct occurs.
  • May be charged under the CSPA.
  • Must attend a disciplinary hearing, if charged.

If an officer is charged, the Chief of Police has the authority to suspend the officer with pay while the investigation takes place, in certain circumstances. Please note that Criminal Code convictions don't determine whether an officer's employment is terminated; it's the CSPA process that has the potential to affect an officer's employment status.

How to Make a Complaint Against a Police Officer

You can also visit Belleville Police Service to make a complaint in person, within six months of the alleged wrongdoing. It should be in writing and must be signed by the person directly affected. All complaints made about the conduct of an officer goes to LECA. They will review the complaint and decide how to proceed. The police service in question, another police service or LECA themselves may investigate the complaint. The outcomes of all complaints are reviewed by LECA.  Following the investigation of a complaint, and if a hearing is ordered to take place, the hearing is aligned with the Community Safety and Policing Act.

You Can Make a Complaint If You:

  • Are concerned or offended by something a police officer(s) said or did to you and were directly affected by the event.
  • Were a witness to an event involving a police officer(s) that concerned or offended you.
  • Are concerned or upset because of the way a relative or friend has been treated by a police officer(s) and you're:      
    • In a personal relationship with the person who is directly involved and who has suffered loss, damage, distress, danger or inconvenience
    • A person who has knowledge of behavior, or you have an item or evidence, that proves or shows unacceptable work.
  • Are acting on behalf of an individual. For example, a member of an organization who has been given written permission to make a complaint on another's behalf (this person is known as an agent).